Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Singer's image

Winning Westenra rejects 'tart' image
A story in the Christchurch Press told us that New Zealander Hayley Westenra recently won the "classical performer of the year" award at the Variety Club's annual showbusiness awards in London, and had the opportunity in talking to the Telegraph in London to claim that her record company had tried to pressure her into dressing like a “tart”.
She said, "Occasionally, I have had to stand my ground on image issues. I am not a tarty person and I don't wear those clothes when I am out, so I don't wear them to perform or for interviews either."


I remember Shona Laing having a change of look
and thinking some 'image advisor' has got to you and it is not working (for me anyway). Although the photos on the sergent website doesn’t show any of those sloppy floppy images.


You Tube is marvelous in showing old clips of performers of earlier times and it is interesting to see some singers obviously under ‘advice’ on how to ‘jazz up’ their visual performance as per this clip of Kay Starr doing Wheel Of Fortune.


Consider too, Brook Benton having to cope with the producer’s concept of the visual aspect for the song Mother Nature, Father Time

All good for a laugh - as in you can't take it seriously.

No comments: