Friday, June 11, 2010

Best remembered more for his idle boasts than his music


Music collector maestro Scott Hughes emailed to ask if I heard that "Crispian St Peters has gone now. He seemed to have more hits in NZ than anywhere else with Pied Piper, You Were On My Mind, Changes, Your Ever Changing MInd and my personal favourite, No No No. Not a surprise I guess, as been sick for years but losing a lot of singers from that era."

From Wikipedia I condensed down his bio to
Born Robin Peter Smith (b. 5 April 1939 d. 8 June 2010) a British pop singer best known for his 1966 hit, "The Pied Piper". As a young man, St. Peters performed in several relatively unknown bands in England. In 1956, he gave his first live performance, as a member of The Hard Travellers.
Under manager David Nicolson's tutelage the shy star was momentarily transformed into arrogance incarnate and is perhaps best remembered more for his idle boasts than his music.

I don't recall any of the controversy over his comments and claims, maybe that just didn't seem so important down under, in N.Z. In asking music maestro Mark if he remembered any of these extravagant claims he said, "No have never heard that before. Usually it's P.J. Proby that has the big ego."

In looking in Google Images for a suitable pic I came across this website dedicated to the man and his music

No comments: