Saturday, January 8, 2011

Gerry Rafferty dies


I was doing a shift on Coast over the summer break and checking Stuff.co.nz for stories when I saw that Gerry Rafferty had died.
I well remember his City To City album and the big new single of Baker Street from my days at Radio Scenicland in Greymouth and so pulled up "Baker Street" and his Stealers Wheel hit "Stuck In The Middle With You" and then added "Right Down The Line" from my laptop.
Also took a call from Chris Ross, a music buff, painting a house interior and he confirmed my thoughts about "Her Father Didn't Like Me Anyway" being from his 'Humblebums' days.
I remember being introduced to that Humblebums song by colleague AnneMarie and quite liking its quirky message.
Later on TV3 News people were interviewed and basically didn't remember the name Gerry Rafferty or Stealers Wheel but knew the songs and especially that riff, that saxophone solo in Baker Street.
That night I went and dropped the needle on my LP of City To City to immerse myself again in Gerry Rafferty. Adding to the plays of Baker Street - "... the track that was recognised last October for having been played a staggering five million times worldwide."

No comments: