Sunday, March 11, 2012

Trials of obtaining music

I had given Brian my standard advice of doing a Google search for the artist - song title and looking for a Last FM or Amazon result and using that to click on more information on any CDs listed to find an image of the CD, sometimes track listing, and perhaps a CD number to then go track it down in their favourite record store or at The Warehouse.

Sent: Sun 12/02/2012 9:23 p.m.
To: Ray Mankelow
Subject: That song
Hi Ray,
I have been given your email as part of a quest that I have been on for the last Fifty plus years. The song "Stair Way Of Love" had me enraptured as a mere Five to about Ten year old. I could even get it on my Crystal Set if I was very careful and didn't breath to loudly. I never could remember the singer, too young I suppose. However, now I appear to be getting closer to one of my most cherished dreams, to have some sort of record that will enable me to play it over and over again. All that stands in my way now, is how on earth does an old bloke like me figure out this down load business. I don't own any I pod, E pod or any other sort of pod, I have a rather ancient CD player and that's it. I did manage to bring up the site as given to me by one of your fellow D.J's, it certainly sounds like the right one, but there was only a snippet of the song which certainly sounded right, the intervening years being what they are. At least now I am a little closer, the song was sung by Michael Holliday, and the year sounds about right.
Will it be possible for me to buy the disc from somewhere, possibly a whole Michael Holliday disc.
With a little, a whole lot , of help from my reasonably savvy Wife we, with pointers in right direction, might even manage to burn it to a CD.
I would love to be able to listen to the whole song, but don't even know where to start.
This list of questions, I realise, is a hell of a cheek and a most unreasonable imposition, but the technology is way over my head and I don't have anyone else to ask.
So, I am taking a big breath and asking you to give of your unmistakeable ability with this technology and tell me, WHERE TO FROM HERE.
Please, please help me when you get a moment and you will make an almost old man very happy.
Most humble regards,Brian

Ray Mankelow
Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 10:01 PM
to Brian
Once you've sampled the song and decide this is the track you want click on any of the albums pictured above - for example
The Magic of Michael Holliday
and you will see this includes "Stairway Of Love"
Now you know what CD you are looking for in your favorite record store.
Where abouts do you live and/or what Record Store would you go to?

11:23 AM
Hi Ray, that song is really starting to get in my head, my face, all the places that I don’t want it to, except somewhere I can actually listen to it, all of it.
I live in Pukekohe, there used to be a record shop, a good one, it closed. I Have’nt got a clue where I could go to even start to make enquires about a CD. It’s possible that the Warehouse might have something, but it’s like looking for the EYE of a needle in a haystack in those bins. I think that I might have to put that song right back to where it has been for all these years, in my distant memory. I really thought, with all the modern Techno gear available these days it would be a piece of getting a song, even just to listen to it again. That does not appear to be the case, not where I am concerned anyway.
Thanks anyway for all your help and Raylene’s.
There are about a dozen Emails in my file, all full of your good information, but I can’t unravel any of it to make it work.
I suppose that fact that I have seen sixty quite a while ago might have something to do with it. This is way over my pay scale, as the saying goes.
Cheers

12:21 PM
Hi Ray,
Absolutely had to send you a quick line.
I DID IT!
Believe it or not, I actually ordered a CD from Amazon of Michael Holliday with THAT SONG on it. What a process! My blood pressure has gone into dangerous, I have a headache, but I did it!
Thank you, thank you, thank you, for all the help that you have given me. At long last, well sometime in April, at least, I will be able to sit back and let all those childhood memories come flooding back. FABULOUS. LOVE IT.
Thanks again

Ray Mankelow
12:51 PM
to Brian
Well done, enjoy when the CD arrives.
As with all things, it's easy when you know how - it's just getting to that knowledge!
I was asking about location as there was one store in Taradale that seemed to be able to get records in for customers. I think it was Wayne of Zinc Records that would go to the trouble to source a song, whereas most record stores (with young staff) find it too difficult to go out of their way. Lucille Starr - The French Song was a case in point. Wayne at Zinc could get it in for customers but Coast listeners from around the country were being told it was just NOT available.
From an email sent Friday, June 26, 2009 8:41 PM that endorses the efforts of Wayne of Zinc Records

Hello Ray
SO good to hear you on Coast tonight and so glad you are getting plenty of shifts! To me you are a very special announcer. Do you remember poking me in the direction of Wayne at Zinc Records in Tarradale - Napier - well Wayne and i have developed a very special - almost 'pen friend' type correspondence - he is SO good at local news etc plus able to get any music purchases I require - ie, I have acquired several really good music DVDs from him which I really enjoy watching. Would love Coast to give him a plug?? Am currently listening to Kristoffeson - belive he turned 73 the other day? Remember my love of that famous line of his " Fumbled through my closet and found my cleanest dirty shirt"? Still love it. Meantime take care, keep up the good work and best wishes and regards from Jewells (Jim)!

No comments: