Monday, June 2, 2008

It was the third of June


Sometime during May, I received an email at work that said ....
I wonder if on the
3rd of June you might want to look at playing - Back-to-Back
the 'Ode to Billy-Joe', the Bobby Gentry number and Neil Daimonds' tune 'Desiree'.

This is Not a Request as Such but Both of these Songs have same Opening Line .....
'It Was the Third of June ....' I thought you might want to make a point of
it in
some Subtle way.

No - I don't need a Hobby - I just Notice things.
Cheers Fred
So I looked up Lyrics World (which doesn't have annoying pop-ups)
Ode To Billie Joe -Artist: Bobbie Gentry
-peak Billboard position # 1 for 4 weeks in 1967
-Words and Music by Bobbie Gentry
 
It was the third of June, another sleepy, dusty Delta day
I was out choppin' cotton and my brother was balin' hay
And at dinner time we stopped and walked back to the house to eat
And Mama hollered out the back door "y'all remember to wipe your feet"
And then she said "I got some news this mornin' from Choctaw Ridge"
"Today Billy Joe MacAllister jumped off the Tallahatchie Bridge"

DESIREE Neil Diamond
Written by Neil Diamond
 
It was the third of June
On that younger day
Well I became a man
At the hands of a girl
Almost twice my age
And she came to me
Just like a morning sun

No comments: